Our Enhanced Kindergarten Experience
All Northern Lights elementary schools offer a full-day Kindergarten program five days a week!
Our schools provide our Kindergarten students with an Enhanced Kindergarten Experience to help prepare them for Grade 1 and a lifetime of learning.
The Government of Alberta provides school boards with funding for students to attend a half-day Kindergarten program.
The curriculum provided by Alberta Education for Kindergarten focuses on seven different areas:
- Early Literacy - Children learn to use language to express thoughts, feeling and experiences;
- Early Numeracy - Children use their growing understanding of numbers to make sense of their world;
- Environment and Community Awareness - Children use their five senses to explore the world around them;
- Citizenship and Identity - Students start to learn how to be good citizens;
- Personal and Social Responsibility - Children learn to work and play with others;
- Physical Skills and Well-Being - Children learn to make good choices in their life;
- Creative Expression - Children express feelings and ideas through music, drama and art.
More information on the Kindergarten curriculum can be found HERE.
The Northern Lights Enhanced Kindergarten Experience means students receive additional instruction in all areas of the Alberta curriculum. That means more time on literacy and numeracy, as well as more time learning through play. We know play is a critical component of early learning. In addition to helping children learn, it also helps children develop socially, emotionally and physically.
In Northern Lights, we also enhance learning in any areas that we identify as we deepen our knowledge of our students, their areas of strength and areas that require growth.
For more information on our Kindergarten program, including age of eligibility, how to register and important dates for 2020-2021, please check out the NLPS Kindergarten page.